Horse riding


If you keep horses and want to hire them out, you will need a horse riding establishment licence.

You can read the conditions for this licence on the Canine and Feline Sector Group website.

To apply for a horse riding licence, you need to:

If we need to consult a vet as part of the application process, you will also need to pay the vet fees.

The total fee to apply for this licence is £318, plus any vet fees.

You can pay any of the fees by:

  • cheque - payable to ‘Harlow Council’ and posted with your application form to Environmental Health, Harlow Council, Civic Centre, The Water Gardens, Harlow CM20 1WG
  • in person - at the cashier desk in the Civic Centre with your application form

We will ask you to pay the total fee for the licence up front. If we do not grant your licence we will refund your grant fee.

Once we receive your application form and fee, we will contact you to arrange an inspection with a vet.

We will use our inspection to decide whether to grant your licence and what your rating will be.

The rating is based on your animal welfare standard and the level of risk your business poses. You can read more about how the rating will be determined on the Canine and Feline Sector Group website.

The rating will be between 1 and 5, with 5 being the best rating.

The rating you receive will determine the length of your licence, from 1 to 3 years.

Once you have your licence, you need to display your licence and rating on your premises.

Contact information

Environmental Health
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG
01279 446111