May elections

You must register to vote in the upcoming May elections before Wednesday 17 April. If you cannot attend the elections, you can apply for a postal vote before 5pm on Wednesday 17 April. Find all the key dates on our election news page.


Mutual exchange


Find someone to exchange with

You can exchange homes with:

  • another secure Harlow Council tenant (including a family member)
  • a secure tenant of another local authority (anywhere in the UK)
  • a secure tenant of a housing association (anywhere in the UK)

You can view properties available for mutual exchange using the HomeSwapper website

If you are a housing association tenant or a tenant of another local authority, you need to check with your landlord for information on any fees to use this service.

When you find someone to exchange home with, you need to:

  • contact them to arrange visits to each other’s home
  • inspect each other’s property carefully, making sure you are happy with the conditions of the property
  • check if there are any outstanding repairs as any emergency repairs should be completed before you exchange - make sure you know which repairs, if any, will be the tenant’s responsibility
  • make sure you can afford the costs of moving home, such as booking a removal company and budgeting for redecorations if needed
  • make sure you can afford the rent and Council Tax as this may be different to the amounts paid for your current home
  • consider making a second visit to the property at a different time of the day to get a feel for the area

You cannot offer or receive money from the tenant you are exchanging with as this is illegal. You and the other person could both be evicted and lose your homes.

If you are downsizing your home through a mutual exchange, you may qualify for financial assistance under the Tenant Moves Incentive Scheme.