Register to vote

You must be registered to vote to be able to vote in the upcoming general election. If you're not registered, you still have until 11.59pm on 18 June to do so.

Home loans and grants

Home repair loan

If you need help financing repairs, you may be able to apply for a discretionary home repair loan.

To be eligible for a home repair loan, you need to:

  • own the property which you live in
  • have lived in your property for at least a year
  • receive at least one means-tested benefit

To apply for a loan, you need to contact us.

In some cases, a loan may be available for a registered disabled person or someone over the age of 60.

The loan can be used for repairs up to a limit of £5,000 in any 5 year period. 

The loan is interest free, but needs to be repaid when the property is next sold or ownership transferred. 

Grants for people with disabilities

If you have a disability and need adaptations in your home to make it easier to live in, you can apply for a grant to help with the cost. 

Things that we might be able to help with include: 

  • adapted bathroom facilities
  • stairlifts
  • access ramps
  • walk-in showers
  • door widening level thresholds
  • improved heating and ventilation
  • small works to prevent falls and improve home safety
  • the cost of moving to a more suitable home

To be able to apply for a grant, you need to first arrange an assessment by Essex County Council

Some grants for adults are means-tested, but not for children. 

You can find more information on Disabled Facilities Grants and watch a video on applying for the grant on the Essex County Council website.

For more information on how we can help with home adaptations, you can read our housing assistance policy.

Contact information

Environmental Health
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG