Publication Scheme

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 places a legal obligation on Harlow Council to produce a Publication Scheme in line with the Model Publication Scheme prepared and approved by the Information Commissioner. The Model Publication Scheme has therefore been adopted by Harlow Council and it will be regularly reviewed and updated where necessary.

Classes of information

The Publication Scheme is split into seven categories of information (listed below) that cover the areas where we publish information:

The method by which information published under this scheme will be made available

Where it is practicable, the Council will make the information covered by this Publication Scheme available on its website. Where it is impracticable to make information available on the website, or when an individual does not wish to access the information by the website, information can be obtained by contacting the Corporate Information Manager.

In exceptional circumstance some information may be available only by viewing in person. Where this manner is specified, contact details will be provided. An appointment to view the information will be arranged within a reasonable timescale.

Information will be provided in the language in which it is held or in such other language that is legally required. Where an authority is legally required to translate any information, it will do so.

Harlow Council takes its obligations under disability and discrimination legislation and other legislation to provide information in other forms and formats seriously, so if you require this document or information that is included in the publication scheme in another format, such as large print Braille or audio then please ask and we will make arrangements to supply this.

Charges which may be made for information published under this scheme

The purpose of this scheme is to make the maximum amount of information readily available at minimum inconvenience and cost to the public. Therefore for most of the information within the Publication Scheme there is no charge. We do not charge for documents in an electronic format. If you require information to be supplied to you in paper format we may make a charge for printing and postage. Our charges are outlined in our Access to Information Fees and Charges Policy.

Charges may be made for information subject to a charging regime specified by Parliament. Charges may also be made for information provided under this scheme where they are legally authorised, they are in all the circumstances, including the general principles of the right of access to information held by public authorities, justified and are in accordance with a published schedule or schedules of fees which is readily available to the public.

If a charge is to be made, confirmation of the payment due will be given before the information is provided. Payment may be requested prior to provision of the information.

Written requests

Requests for hard copies of information contained in the Council's scheme and for information held by the Council that is not published under this scheme can be requested in writing, when its provision will be considered in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act. FoI/EIR requests for information

Copyright and re-use of information

Harlow Council holds the copyright in its published information. More information on Copyright and re-use of information

Feedback, questions and further information

It is important to Harlow Council that its Publication Scheme meets your needs. Any comments or suggestions about additional information which might be included in the scheme or how information might be made more accessible would be welcomed. Please contact:

Corporate Information Manager
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
CM20 1WG


Complaints about the Publication Scheme

Complaints about the Scheme or the provision of information should be made in the first instance to the Corporate Information Manager at the above address.

If you are unhappy with our response to your request you can ask us to review it and if you are still dissatisfied you can make an appeal to the Information Commissioner.

The Information Commissioner
Wycliff House
Water Lane