Street parties

Street parties are parties organised by and for residents in one or two small streets, without external publicity. They are a brilliant way to build a friendly community.

We encourage street parties and want to make it as easy as possible for you to arrange them.

You can look at GOV.UK for information on organising a street party


Street parties usually:

  • are for residents/neighbours only
  • are publicised only to local residents
  • are held in a quiet residential road or street
  • are self-organised
  • do not require insurance (the Street Party website has advice if you’re concerned about this)
  • do not require a formal risk assessment
  • do not require licences (unless you plan to sell alcohol, in which case you may need a temporary event notice)

For most small parties in quiet streets, the main thing we need to know is where and when you want to close the road. You do not need to pay to close the road.

We will advertise and make the closure notice. However, you have to carry out your own consultations beforehand and provide your own road closure signs.


You can apply for a street party online.

You need to fill out the application form at least 6 weeks in advance.

More helpful tips, advice and support for organising a successful event can be found on the Street Party website and The Big Lunch website