Caravan and camping sites


Camping sites

You need a licence if you want to operate a camping site in the Harlow area.

You can look at GOV.UK for information about who needs a camping licence, licence restrictions and the penalties for operating without one.

You must have planning permission for the campsite before you apply for a licence.

To apply for a licence you need to contact us for an application form.

You will also need to provide plans for the proposed site, which must:

  • be based on a 1/2500 scale Ordnance Survey map
  • outline the site in red
  • show any adjoining land owned or controlled by the applicant shaded in blue
  • show the positions of the facilities, distinguishing between those already existing and those proposed

For information on the current fee for this licence, you need to contact us.

Once we receive your application, we aim to process it within 28 days.

If we grant your licence it may contain conditions that need to be met.

If your licence application is refused or you want to object to a condition on the licence you can appeal to the magistrates court within 21 days of receiving notice of the decision.

Contact information

Environmental Health
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG