May elections

You must register to vote in the upcoming May elections before Wednesday 17 April. If you cannot attend the elections, you can apply for a postal vote before 5pm on Wednesday 17 April. Find all the key dates on our election news page.


Make an insurance claim

If you are a solicitor and want to make a claim via the claims portal, contact us (details at the bottom of the page) for the portal details.

If you are a council tenant and want to make a claim on the home contents insurance, see our tenants contents insurance page

If you are a leaseholder and want to make a claim on the buildings insurance, see our buildings insurance page

If you are a member of the public making a claim, you need to use the process below.

Personal injury or property damage claims

If you are thinking about making a claim against Harlow Council or HTS Group Ltd due to a personal injury or damage to your property, you need to be aware that for your claim to be successful, you will need to prove that the council has been at fault in law.

Although something unfortunate may have happened, there is no automatic entitlement to compensation. What is alleged to have happened may not be the council's or HTS Group Ltd’s fault.

For example, if there is a particularly bad storm which lifts some roof tiles off and, as a result, water comes through the roof and the ceiling damaging a bedroom carpet, it might be successfully argued that the council or HTS Group Ltd was not liable and not at fault (negligent) as it could not have predicted the damage or prevented it from happening.

Please think carefully before making a claim. Any claim may have to be paid from council resources and the cost of processing unsuccessful claims is a drain on staff time and may divert resources from front line services.

Making a claim

If you want to discuss a possible claim against Harlow Council or HTS Group Ltd, you can call Insurance Services on 01279 446214.

To begin the claims process, you need to write to Insurance Services and include:

  • your name
  • your contact details (address, telephone number)
  • the exact time and date of the accident or incident
  • details of how the accident or incident occurred and a description of the nature of the defect
  • details of how the damage was caused (if you know)
  • photographs of the site (if you have them)
  • details of injuries or damage to property

If your claim is due to a defect on a roadway, pathway or cycleway, you will also need to provide a sketch of the precise location of the accident or incident, indicating landmarks such as houses, shops, streetlamps or other conspicuous objects.

How we handle your claim

When Insurance Services receive your claim, they will acknowledge receipt of your letter and provide you with a claim reference number and contact information.

We may also refer your claim to our insurers. If your claim is referred, Harlow Council insurers will also separately acknowledge you and you must then deal directly with them. We will then investigate your claim and the claims handler (our insurers if the claim has been referred) will decide whether or not the council is at fault.

If the claim is for damage to your property, the claims handler or insurer will ask you for the original receipts, or estimates for replacement. They will also ask for the age of the items. This is because any payment will take into account wear and tear. When communicating with the council, claims handler or insurer please quote the claim number given to you.

If you are making a claim against HTS Group Ltd or its contractors for personal injury or damage to property (for example, an HTS Group Ltd operative or one of its contractors damages your carpet while carrying out work in your property), please address correspondence to: HTS Group Insurance Department, Insurance Services, Civic Centre, The Water Gardens, Harlow CM20 1WG

Claims for roads and footpaths

Harlow Council is not responsible for repair and maintenance of all roads and footpaths in Harlow District. Many are the responsibility of Essex County Council.

You can use the Essex Highways map to find out which roads Essex own.

If you cannot use the map, you can contact us for help.

Motor accidents

For incidents involving Harlow Council insured vehicles please write to Insurance Services.

For incidents involving an HTS Group Ltd vehicle, please contact HTS Group Ltd Transport Section by writing to: HTS Group Ltd Transport Manager, Mead Park Depot, Mead Industrial park, River Way, Harlow, Essex CM20 2SE.

Contact information

Insurance Services
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG

01279 446215
01279 446214