Restrictive covenants stay with the property no matter how many times it changes hands and may affect the ways in which you can alter the property's appearance or the way you use it.
If you own a home in Harlow, we may have some control over how you change your home’s appearance or use, through Restrictive Covenants. This is in addition to Planning Permission and Building Control approval.
Where Restrictive Covenants may apply
Some of the situations where Covenant approval will be required are listed below:
- External alterations and extensions
- Alterations to front gardens
- Alterations to and replacement garden fences
- Business use
- Advertising posters
- Right of entry for maintenance of services
Who do Restrictive Covenants affect?
To find out if your home has Restrictive Covenants, look at the documents dealing with the purchase or ask the solicitor who acted for you.
Most homes in Harlow are affected by covenants, which include:
- Homes built by Harlow Development Corporation, its agents or developers and sold as private estates
- Homes built by the Corporation for rented accommodation, later sold to tenants
- Homes transferred to Harlow Council by the Corporation as rented accommodation, and later sold under the ‘Right to Buy’
- Homes built for sale by Harlow Council
If you live in Church Langley the only covenants that are applicable are those laid down by the original developers. In the case of homes built by Croudace, the covenants on these properties were passed to Harlow District Council, however the Council has decided not to take up its option of administering restrictive covenants in Church Langley. For homes other than those built by Croudace you should contact the developer concerned or your solicitor to advise you.
Application form and registration fees
For application forms and guidance notes visit covenant application form page
Open front parking
For details on open fronts policy and parking on you front garden visit open front parking page
Should you require further clarification on any of the above matters please contact Karen Barratt on:
- Telephone: 01279 446837. (9.30am to 1.00pm only) or
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not enter into a contract of any kind with an agent or builder, or pay any money, until you have all necessary approvals.
Please also refer to the web pages dealing with Planning Permissions and Building Regulations Approval.