There are 10 Conservation Areas in Harlow, which we have protected for their special architectural or historic interest.
- Churchgate Street Conservation Area 1985 (pdf)
- Harlow Garden Village Estate Conservation Area 2013 (pdf)
- Harlow Mill and Old Road North Conservation Area 1998 (pdf)
- Harlowbury Conservation Area 1994 (pdf)
- Mark Hall North Conservation Area 1987 (pdf)
- Netteswellbury Conservation Area 1986 (pdf)
- Old Harlow Conservation Area 1969 - amended 1994 (pdf)
- Puffers Green Conservation Area 1995 (pdf)
- Town Park Netteswell Cross Conservation Area 1993 (pdf)
- Tye Green Conservation Area 1999 (pdf)
Character appraisals and management plans
Conservation Area character appraisals help residents and us to understand the history of an area and why it is special. They help shape future developments and planning policies, as well as giving residents an idea of what enhancements could be made.
Conservation Area management plans help identify issues affecting the area and how they can be managed. They look at opportunities to manage and enhance the area’s character and review boundaries.
- Old Harlow Conservation Area character appraisal (pdf)
- Old Harlow Conservation Area management plan (pdf)
- Harlow Garden Village Estate Conservation Area character appraisal (pdf)
- Harlow Garden Village Estate Conservation Area management plan (pdf)
- Old Harlow and Harlow Garden Village Estate - public consultation statement (pdf)
Mark Hall North: character appraisal and management proposals consultation
We will be consulting on a character appraisal and management proposals for Mark Hall North Conservation Area.
The character appraisal details the background of the area, including its history, the styles and original features of the housing and examples of where changes have been made.
There are 3 management proposals:
- the introduction of an Article 4 direction which would apply to houses in Mark Hall North
- minor amendments to the Conservation Area boundary
- publication of a management plan
You can view a copy of the:
We would like to get your views on the character appraisal and management proposals. The consultation opens on Monday 25 July and closes at 5pm on Friday 26 August 2022.
You can give us your comments by email to Myharlow@harlow.gov.uk
You can also write to us at Forward Planning, Civic Centre, The Water Gardens, College Square, Harlow CM20 1WG.
We may not accept comments we receive after the closing date.
Planning permission in conservation areas
If you apply for planning permission, you should bear in mind that we will need to make sure that any development does not harm the special character of the area.
You need to get Conservation Area consent from us before demolishing any building or part of a building in a Conservation Area.
If you want to carry out works to a tree in a Conservation Area, you need to notify us 6 weeks before you plan to start work.