Waste Collections

All food waste collections are currently suspended. Garden Waste collections are currently behind schedule. You can find the latest on all waste collections on our news page.


Check if you need planning permission

You need planning permission for most building work.

However, you can carry out some work without the need to apply for planning permission. This is called 'permitted development'.

You can use Planning Portal’s interactive house to see if you need planning permission.

Even if the work does fall under permitted development, you may still need planning permission, as permitted development may not apply to your property.

Find out if you live in a part of Harlow that doesn't have permitted development rights. [Link to Article 4 page]

Check with us

Planning law is complicated and we can only give basic informal advice on our site.

If you are unsure about whether you need permission, we advise you to confirm with us before starting any work.

To check if you need permission for your building work, you can use the do I need planning permission form? (pdf)

Once we receive your completed form, we will respond to you in writing within 8 weeks.

You can also ask us for more formal advice [link to advice page] before you make a planning application.

Other things to consider

As well as planning permission, there are other things you need to consider.

  • Building control - even if you don't need planning permission, you may still need building control approval.
  • Covenant control – your property may have restrictive covenants attached to it, which need separate approval
  • Conservation areas - if you live in a conservation area you may need specific consent, as well as planning permission.
  • Listed buildings - if your property is a listed building you may need specific consent, as well as planning permission.
  • Tree Preservation Orders – if your development affects a tree with a Preservation order attached to it, you’ll need separate approval for this.
  • Sustainable urban drainage - new development should incorporate sustainable urban drainage systems.